If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured.
Here's what to do:
- Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
- At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
- Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
- Typically this will be #1
- Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
- Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
- Take out the CD ROM and type exit